Header Ads Widget

the brook class 8th question and answer

 NOTES PREPARED BY 
ASHAQ HUSSAIN BHAT 
TEACHER SCHOOL EDUCATION DEPARTMENT 
JAMMU AND KASHMIR





 

The Brook (Poem5)

 

Q. who is "I" referred  in the poem

Ans. Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Brook" has the brook itself as the speaker, referring to himself as "I." 

Q. Trace the journey of the brook

Ans. A brook travels across the terrain, combining with other small streams , interacting with many ecosystems along the way, and finally joining bigger bodies of water. 

 

Q. Explain the following lines  "for man may come and man may go but I go on forever" what purpose do these liners serve?

 

Ans. The poem "The Brook" by Alfred Lord Tennyson contrasts the transient existence of humans with the enduring nature of the brook. The brook's perpetual flow symbolizes the eternal persistence of nature, contrasting the fleeting nature of human existence.

 

Q. Alliteration is the repetition of initial consonant sound in verb such as "I" slip "I" slide "I" gloom "I" glance, .pick out more examples of Alliteration  from the poem.

Ans. Certainly, here are some further instances of alliteration from Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Brook":

 

1. "And draw them all along, and flow"

2. "I chatter, chatter, as I flow"

3. "I steal by lawns and grassy plots"

4. "I wind about, and in and out"

5. "I murmur under moon and stars"

The first consonant sounds are repeated close together, which adds to the poem's melody and rhythm.

 

 

Q. Can the journey of the brook be compared to human life how

Ans. Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "The Brook" highlights the many phases, challenges, and transformations of human existence by drawing a symbolic comparison between the Brook's journey and our own.

 

1. *Birth and Origin:* The source of the brook represents the start of its journey, much like the birth of a person.

 

2. *Youthful Enthusiasm:* The brook's vigorous flow represents the passion and vigour of youth.

3. *Obstacles and Challenges:* The brook, a natural feature, often encounters obstacles such as rocks and bends, symbolizing the challenges and hardships of life.

4. *Adaptability:* The brook adapts its course, showcasing resilience, similar to how individuals adapt to changes in life.

 

5. *Maturity and Depth:* As the brook widens and deepens, it can be compared to the maturity and depth that come with age and experience.

 

6. *Flowing Towards an End:* The brook's constant flow towards its destination echoes the inevitable journey towards the end of life.

 

Language work

Ans . In the poem "Brook" by Alfred Lord Tennyson, sound imagery is utilized to vividly depict the movement and characteristics of the brook. Here are some examples:

1.     "I chatter, chatter, as I flow" - The repetition of "chatter" emphasizes the continuous, lively sound of the brook.

2.    "I babble onward" - The word "babble" suggests the gentle, murmuring sound of the brook as it flows.

3.    "I come from haunts of coot and hern" - While not directly a sound, the mention of "haunts" evokes the sounds of nature associated with the brook's origin.

4.    "I murmur under moon and stars" - The verb "murmur" conveys a soft, soothing sound that the brook makes as it flows beneath the night sky.

5.    "But I go on forever" - The repetition of the "o" sound in "go on forever" creates a sense of continuous, uninterrupted flow, echoing the perpetual sound of the brook. 



2. visual imagery is employed to vividly describe the appearance and surroundings of the brook. Here are some examples:

(a)"I wind about, and in and out" - This imagery suggests the meandering path of the brook as it winds through the landscape.

(b)"Through bog and fen, through mire and plot" - These words evoke the visual image of the brook traversing through various terrains, including marshy areas and muddy patches.(c )

(b) "I steal by lawns and grassy plots" - The mention of "lawns" and "grassy plots" conjures up the image of the brook flowing past verdant, green spaces.

(d) "I come from haunts of coot and hern" - This line evokes imagery of the brook originating from natural habitats where coots and herons dwell, possibly marshy or reedy areas.(e)

(e) "I chatter, chatter, as I flow" - While primarily auditory, the repetition of "chatter" also creates a visual image of the lively movement of the brook, as if it's bubbling and bubbling along its course.

(f)"I slip, I slide, I gloom, I glance" - These verbs paint a visual picture of the brook's fluid motion, sliding smoothly over rocks and reflecting light as it moves.

Lets Write

  Recently, I embarked on a delightful picnic to Gulmarg alongside the enthusiastic students of HS Ranipora. Nestled amidst the breath taking scenery of the Himalayas, Gulmarg enchanted us with its pristine beauty and refreshing ambiance. As we wandered through lush meadows adorned with vibrant wildflowers, our spirits soared with every step. We indulged in thrilling activities like horse riding and trekking, immersing ourselves in the natural splendour around us. The laughter of students echoed against the majestic mountains, creating memories that will be cherished forever. Our picnic to Gulmarg was not just a journey, but an unforgettable adventure filled with joy and camaraderie.


Post a Comment

0 Comments