Header Ads Widget

Lalajee Class 7th English

 

NOTES PREPARED BY 

ASHAQ HUSSAIN BHAT 

TEACHER SCHOOL 

EDUCATION DEPARTMENT 

JAMMU AND KASHMIR



'LALAJEE'


(A) Answer these questions:

Q. 1. Name the disease Lalajee was suffering from.

Ans. Cholera.

Q. 2. Why could the author not spare time to nurse Lalajee?

Ans:-/Because he had already three cholera patients to look after.


Q. 3. What did the author make clear to Lalajee?

Ans. He made it clear that Lalajee could get well only if he co-operated and had confidence in the author's treatment.


Q. 4. What was Lalajee's profession?

Ans. He was a grain merchant.

Q. 5. Why was Lalajee no longer a merchant ?

Ans. He had taken an unknown partner who robbed him of everything. Lalajee had to take employment with a merchant with whom he used to trade.


Q. 6. Why was it difficult for him to start business once again?


Ans. He earned only seven rupees a month and there was no one in the world who could lend him even five hundred rupees to restart his business.


Q.7. What surprise was in store for Lalajee before he left Mokameh Ghat?


Ans. The author gave him five hundred rupees to restart his business.

Q. 8. How did lajee react when he gets the money and the ticket?

Ans. He puts his head on the author's feet and says, "Within one year your slave will return you this money.


Q.9. What promise did Lalajee make?

Ans. He promises to return the author's money within one year.



Q. 10. How did Lalajee pay back the author's courtesy?


Ans. He not only returns the money lent to him but also sends the author a big basket of choicest mangoes from his garden every year.


(B) Write True or False in the box provided against each statement.

1. The narrator had been at Mokameh Ghat for ten years.

2.People in India are not afraid of cholera.

3.Lalajee was a merchant basically.

4. Lalajee was on his way from Gaya to Muzaffarpur.

5. The train to Gaya left at 8.30 p.m.

6. Lalajee was happy when the narrator did not accept his interest.

7. Lalajee attained the ambition of becoming a merchant once again.

Answer

 1. True 

2. False 

3. True 

4. False 

5. False 

6. False 

7. True.

LANGUAGE WORK

(A) Substitute the following with one word :

a) the acts or instances of suspecting.

b) attacking or affecting many persons simultaneously in a community of area.

c) to continue in existence after a passage of adversity.

d) a brutal person.

e) coming to an end.

f) slowly.

g) to prevent from enjoying.

Answer:-

(a) suspicion 

(b) epidemic 

(c) survive 

(d) brute 

(e) expire 

(f) gradually 

(g) Forbid

(B) Look at the following sentences taken from the text :

1. All he could do was to keep glancing from the notes in his hand to my face.

2. He said he would try to find other employment.

 The above sentences contain gerund (i.e.,- ing form of verb used as a noun infinitive, i.e., to + base form of verb)


Some verbs / phrasal verbs which are followed by - ing form of verbs are given below

stop finish  practice consider

mention dislike.  suggest. give up

fancy.  put off.  decide. agree

threaten. seen. mind. avoid

carry on.  enjoy.  forgive. offer


Now fill in the blanks with -ing form of verb or infinitive (to + base form of verb) given in brackets :

(i) How old were you when you learnt.........(Drive)

(ii) I don't mind....................home.(Walk)

(iii) I can't make a decision. I keep....................my mind (Change)

(iv) She refused............................me.(Help)

(v) Children enjoy........................to stories(Listen)

(vi) The thief denied...................to watch (Steal)

(vii) Students suggested.............for a picnic (Go)

(viii) Our teacher dislikes............to stories.(Smoke)


(ix) My son likes................cricket.(Play)

(x) If you don't succeed, you should go on.............(Tr

(xi) I was very tired. I tried................my eyes open but I could not (Keep) 

(xii) I can't afford...................  a car(Buy) 

(xiii) Has it stopped.................yet?(Rain) 

(xiv) My friend wanted............................ a doctor when he was young.(Become)


Answers

(i) to drive 
(ii) walking 
(iii) changing 
(iv) to help 
(v) listening
(vi) stealing 
(vii) to go 
(viii) smoking 
(ix) playing 
(x) trying
(xi) to keep 
(xii) buying 
(xiii) raining 
(xiv) to become.


GRAMMAR WORK


(A) Change the following sentences into indirect speech:

1. She said to me, "Do not take much tea."

2. The teacher said to the students, "Be punctual and do your work Regularily

3.I said to him, "Wait here till I return."


4.I said to my servant, "Post this letter."

5.The General said to the soldiers, "Attack the enemy."

6.His father said to him, "Do not mix with bad boys."

7.He said to me, "Please lend me your bicycle."

8. He said to the servant, "Lay the table."

9.The robber said to the traveller, "Hand over everything to me."

10. The teacher said to the students, "Work hard."


Answer :- 

1. She advised me not to take much tea.


2. The teacher advised the students to be punctual and to do their work regularly


3. I asked him to wait there till I returned.


4. I ordered ny servant to post that letter.


5. The General ordered the soldiers to attack the enemy.


6. His father advised him not to mix with bad boys.


7. He requested me to lend him my bicycle.


8. He ordered his servant to lay the table.


10. The teacher advised the students to work hard.


9. The robber threatened the traveller to hand over everything to him.

Change the following sentences into direct speech :

1. He ordered his servant to go to the bazaar and bring fruit and vegetables.

2. I requested him not to disturb the patient.

3. The teacher advised us to trust in God and do the right.

4. My father forbade me to gamble.

5. I requested him to lend me two hundred rupees.

Answers

1. He said to his servant, "Go to the bazaar and bring fruit an vegetables."

2. I said to him, "Please don't disturb the patient."

3. The teacher said to us, "Trust in God and do the right."

4. My father said to me, "Don't gamble.'

5. I said to him, "Please lend me two hundred rupees."






Post a Comment

0 Comments